Senior Malware Researcher
Designed by analysts but built for the entire team (security operations, threat intelligence, incident response and security leadership), ThreatConnect’s intelligence-driven security operations platform is the only solution available today with intelligence, automation, analytics, and workflows in a single platform. Centralize your intelligence, establish process consistency, scale operations, and measure your effectiveness in one place. To learn more about our threat intelligence platform (TIP) or security orchestration, automation, and response (SOAR) solutions, visit ThreatConnect.com.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Malware Researcher to join the ThreatConnect Research team. This team creates actionable intelligence related to ideological, criminal, and nation-state cyber threats, and teaches our customers to do the same. Our new team member will lead our malware analysis efforts and help prioritize this research by translating intelligence requirements to signatures that drive a malware collection system.
The Senior Malware Researcher will help to continually improve ThreatConnect by finding ways to make it more powerful and effective for our users. Tinkering is required! Additionally, he/she will work with other business units including product management, engineering, sales, and marketing and will promote thought leadership by evangelizing threat intelligence research, processes, and methodology.
A passion for high quality analysis and an ability to convey highly technical concepts to non-technical audiences is essential for this role. It is preferred that the candidate have demonstrated works, such as research, presentations, blogs, whitepapers, and/or ThreatConnect Community shares that highlight the candidate’s ability to conduct analysis using infrastructure analysis, in-depth malware analysis, malware triage, and/or YARA rule creation.
- Conduct day-to-day malware triage and analysis in support of Research team hunting and services offerings.
- Create and manage signatures and rules that drive sample collection for the Research team’s hunting process.
- Use knowledge of malware analysis to help engineer and innovate ThreatConnect malware triage and analysis capabilities, including the design of a malware analysis lab.
- Communicate analytic findings and tradecraft through intelligence products such as reports, presentations, workshops, and blog posts.
- Collaborate internally with Product Management to ensure subject matter expertise is captured in product features, content, and other deliverables.
- Support user engagement through delivery of best practice trainings.
- Travel to customers, partners, and industry conferences to fulfill the above responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant technical field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience conducting malware analysis; a Master’s Degree may be substituted for lesser years of experience.
- Proficient with debuggers and reverse engineering software (IDA Pro, WinDbg, OllyDbg, Ghidra, etc).
- Experience writing YARA signatures based on malware families, samples, or infrastructure.
- Industry certifications (such as GCIH, GREM, or similar) a plus.
- 10 Paid Federal Holidays
- Accrued Paid Time Off (PTO) for vacation/sick, time
- Your birthday off
- Employee recognition program with quarterly awards
- Employee referral program
- Military leave options available
- Education reimbursement program for job-related college courses and professional training
- Company-provided refreshments at our headquarters
- Quarterly events with your geographic team
- Annual company party
- MEDICAL PREMIUM FOR INDIVIDUALS AND FAMILIES ARE 100% COVERED
- Prescription drug coverage
- Dental coverage
- Vision coverage
- Company-paid short term and long term disability
- Company-paid insurance and AD&D coverage
- 401K retirement savings plan with company matching program up to 6%
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (medical, dependent care, transit and parking)
- Cell phone stipend